Sunday, August 7, 2011

With all the Certainty of my Soul

This is my first entry as an Online Missionary, trying to invite people to come unto Christ.  Hopefully this goes well, I am not the most qualified,  nor am I the best writer, but I hope this Blog will help anyone out there who is searching for the truth.

The title of this blog, " With all the Certainty of my Soul" comes from a story in my family history.  John Tanner, one of my ancestors, was the first in my family to join the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  He was originally in another Christian religion and very devout in it.  John was a very wealthy self-made business man.  He also had a horrible infection in his leg, that doctors could not cure, although many told him that the infection would eventually kill him if it was not amputated.  He refused to amputate the leg.

When the Mormon missionaries came to his town,  John went and listen to their sermon, hoping only to defend his brethren from what John considered to be false doctrine.  But their preaching was so powerful, John felt the Holy Spirit, the "Comforter" that Jesus Promised he would send.  Intrigued, John purchased a copy of the Book of Mormon, and began to study it along side of the Bible.  When he had read and prayed, he knew that the message was true.  He requested to meet with the Mormon missionaries once again, but, unfortunately, he could not get baptised because of the infection in his leg.  Trusting in the Lord, the missionaries asked John if he had the faith to be healed.  They asked him "Do you believe that Jesus Christ healed the lame and blind".  His response gives me the chills, "With all the certainty of my soul."  John Tanner was healed, and baptised, that very night, through his faith, and the restored priesthood which the missionaries held.

Today, I want to echo his declaration.  I also know, with all the certainty of my soul, that Jesus Christ is my Savior and Redeemer.  That he paid the price for our sins, so that we may live in the presence of our loving Heavenly Father once again.  I know that Jesus Christ restored his church on the earth today, through the Prophet Joseph Smith. 
 


Come unto Christ
Jesus healing a blind man


2 comments:

  1. Elder Tanner,
    Thank you for posting this story. We learned about John Tanner in seminary last year and his life and story are such a strong example of faith and obedience. I'm going to share this on my facebook page. I know a lot of people we be inspired by John Tanner's testimony and yours as well.
    Sister Bills

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such an incredible story! The faith of our ancestors is something that never ceases to humble me.

    ReplyDelete